nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting wax is old technology.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting wax is old technology.
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:22:53 EST

In a message dated 3/16/2004 11:18:33 AM US Eastern Standard Time, lonrom@hevanet.com writes:

   I repeat, what is there about wax that makes all the work of heating it worth the fuss?  I'd really like to know.
-Lon Rombough

I'd also like to know. Sealing with wax is old technology. Parafilm is easier than cow manure and smells better!!!  I did see a demonstration by a USDA forrester who used diluted latex interior paint to paint the entire graft. Still easier than using wax and wax pot. Forget the wax, it isn't necessary.

Also, Bill Heiman and I both have successfully stored scion wood a year and used it to graft. Not a good idea, fresh is better. We both had stored it in heavy gauge zip loc bags with moist (not wet) paper towel.   Jerry Lehman