nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting wax is old technology.

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting wax is old technology.
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:11:17 -0600

i've got no answers for that question, but if this means everyone has bars of
grafting wax around they no longer want, send them my way! i am very serious,
but
actually, i think it is useful to acknowledge and stay in practice with
techniques
that have evolved. just as there are many different ways to graft that may
have
been rationally phased out of common use, the skill and ART of doing has
value.
many people, after spending time through old books on the nursery business,
feel
the quality and attention to detail was maybe actually better than we have
today
in commercial standards. while i don't know whether that makes wax sealing
relevant, grafting itself was considered a old-timey thing in the eyes of
laboratory/vegetative propagation. and while i am ignorant of many things due
lack of life experience, i think it would be quite reassuring that i could
live my
life and keep my interests alive without petroleum based, highly processed
formulations. the complete circle of grafting with beeswax from my family's
own
hives will be realized next spring, and i look forward to that feeling. i
will be
using parafilm etc this year myself. yes i think it is true that wax sealing
may
only have aesthetic worth. i think it would be very interesting to see a demo
using every material out there, from farwells to mud and get to try each way
hands
on.
heron breen

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:22:53 EST , Jwlehman@aol.com sent:

>In a message dated 3/16/2004 11:18:33 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
lonrom@hevanet.com writes:

>   I repeat, what is there about wax that makes all the work of heating it
>worth
the fuss?  I'd really like to know.

>-Lon Rombough
>

>I'd also like to know. Sealing with wax is old technology. Parafilm is
>easier
than cow manure and smells better!!!  I did see a demonstration by a USDA
forrester who used diluted latex interior paint to paint the entire graft.
Still
easier than using wax and wax pot. Forget the wax, it isn't necessary.

>Also, Bill Heiman and I both have successfully stored scion wood a year and
>used
it to graft. Not a good idea, fresh is better. We both had stored it in heavy
gauge zip loc bags with moist (not wet) paper towel.   Jerry Lehman