nafex - [NAFEX] superfecundity(sp?) i think

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] superfecundity(sp?) i think
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:58:03 -0600

hi folks, thought this term might help us understand winter hardiness of a
certain
type. in basic, this has to do with sugars remaining in the plant cell during
dormancy or cold/warming spells, combined with the water in solution, which
freezes at a much lower temp than straight water, reducing cellular rupture.
similar to the concept of honey and water used as coolant fluid for our cars.
metabolic difference among some same species/genus cultivars, a physiological
one
between others. the mechanisms behind this has made me ponder deeply induced
hardiness, effective breeding, and why some winters are harder than others on
the
plant life in my area and possible ways to "read" and prevent/reduce
winterkill. i
am just putting out here as a jumping off point. hope it inspires same
catharsis!
heron breen
maine zone 4b
ps got into this topic by looking at hardiness in rhododendrons...why are
some
cultivars or species hardier than others?

  • [NAFEX] superfecundity(sp?) i think, Heron Breen, 03/14/2004