nafex - [NAFEX] Scale mobility

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scale mobility
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:15:17 EST

A few days back someone wrote asking how scale spread, plant to plant. I forwarded it to my Indiana Orchard Inspector, an entomologist. This may not apply to other areas with different scale species. Here was his reply:

It's the nymph or "crawler" stage that is mobile.  Adult females don't even fly, the males do - but for only a day or so to mate and then they die.  The majority of scale spend their life on one plant, but crawlers will migrate to different areas to overwinter.  They can sometimes move from plant to plant from the wind as well, but only while in the crawler stage.  The reason you see so many of them - once they attach themselves - is that they are so prolific.

I hope that helps.

  • [NAFEX] scale mobility, buretachi, 03/14/2004
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [NAFEX] Scale mobility, Jwlehman, 03/18/2004