nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax

  • From: Martha Barrett / Scott Weber <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:10:09 -0600

I love grafting wax. It is a major Spring ritual for me. I grab my
trusty SVEA stove, matches, an old pot, pliers to hold it, an old knife
cut the wax block, a grafting knife, and head down to the orchard.
I get the stove going to a healthy roar (what a great sound, bringing
back
memories of hot meals in the middle of nowhere after a long hike),
then turn down the flame and set the melting pot on.
Occasionally I start a small grass fire and get to hone my burn skills
for the
upcoming prairie burn season.
Once I have the grafts in place, I drip the melted wax on with a stick
and
watch in awe as the hot wax slowly hardens. You can make sculpture with
the
stuff like I did as a kid playing with hot candle wax at the dining room
table
before my Mom balled me out.
By the time the wax falls off in mid summer, the graft has taken. I've
never
rewaxed any graft, and the success rate is high. So why mess with
success
and spoil the fun?
In fairness, my wife thinks I'm nuts and uses Parafilm.
scott

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!