nafex - [NAFEX] Fw: Varietes to dry

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fw: Varietes to dry
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:38:03 -0700

>If you have creative ways of eating these dried fruit, beyond the
pedestrian manner of simply eating them straight, I'd be interested.

I have nothing creative but I've found that many people prefer
fruitcake that is made from dried fruit over that made from candied
fruit like that which is sold around Christmas time. You might also
experiment with apple cakes and apple cookies made from dried rather
than fresh apples. Of course you would have to find which varieties
bake best after being dried and if some spices and other fruits like
pumpkins can "improve" the flavor of certain apples in baked goods.
You might also add dried tart cherries to your list as they are very
good in baked goods and quite pricey as compared to dried apples. Then
of course you might also consider growing various nuts and adding them
to your own "trail mix" recipe. Uniform size of the pieces and
rehydration may be important aspects of baking.

You might also consider creating rum soaked/wine dipped dried fruit
(remember those Crooks cigars?). That would give you an excuse to grow
grapes and make your own wine, or you could make the soaking/dipping
wine out of the pears, etc.

You could make dried turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, and radishes and
mix them in with your dried apples and pears and have a taste testing
party where the winner gets a bag of their favorite flavor if they
guess the most right. Let them figure out they are eating root veggies
rather than fruit.

Finally, you might import a bushel of peaches this year and see what
dried peaches taste like in a fruit cake, and for any of your
curmudgeon Uncles or friends you might try making dried radishes and
put some in their fruit cake. Daikon may be very good dried. ;-)