nafex - [NAFEX] Fw: Varietes to dry

  • From: "Conrad or Anita Leighton" <cattli@comcast.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fw: Varietes to dry
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:48:23 -0600

----- Original Message -----
To: NAFEX
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 9:05 AM
Subject: Varietes to dry

I have been developing an orchard with many apple and pear varieties that are finally producing fruit.  One of the biggest hits in our household has been apples and pears that I have dried.  I find  there is not a direct relationship between how fruit tastes off the tree and how it tastes dried.  I would be curious what apples and pears you feel make the best dried fruit.  This is a matter of course of individual taste so outright personal bias  is encouraged.  I am going to try drying most of the varieties anyway - this is my idea of fun - but I would like some idea of what I'm looking for.  If you have creative ways of eating these dried fruit, beyond the pedestrian manner of simply eating them straight, I'd be interested.

My orchard is near Prairie Farm, Wisconsin (about 60 miles east St. Paul, Minnesota) in zone 3B/4A.

Conrad Leighton