nafex - [NAFEX] Black currant crosses

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: Nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black currant crosses
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:34:30 EST

In the past few days there have been a couple post re crossing black currants with Crandall and with Consort and/or Titania. We have used all these options and have also included Ribes Americanuun. Some produced fruit and some did not. Some of the fruit was sterile and  we treated some with colchicine, we have covered most of the options. This is a very complex process and Harry Swartz is a long time breeder with a lot of experience and success, he is the "brains" behind the project, I just do as he tells me and grow the plants.
Some of our best results have been when we included some Russian parents. There seems to be something that we do not fully understand regarding the resistance to WPBR.

This whole project has been a very fascinating effort and I am very happy to be a part of it, it makes me feel that I am doing something worthwhile.

Ed Mashburn

  • [NAFEX] Black currant crosses, Ribes60, 03/11/2004