nafex - [NAFEX] Speaking of Pomona Blueberry Articel

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Speaking of Pomona Blueberry Articel
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:36:41 -0600

I also read the article in the current Pomona about planting blueberries in straight peat.  I am about to prepare a 3 X 12 foot bed for two blueberries and three cranberries I ordered.  The success that Pete Tallman had with peat bales in Colorado got me thinking.  I believe I will dig out the bed to a depth of about 8 inches and fill in with pure peat.  I can use the removed soil elsewhere.  After planting, I will mulch with two inches of composted leaves.  Of course, I'll inoculate all plants with mycorrhizae and run a soaker hose under the compost mulch.

Pete Tallman's photo of the blueberry growing in a peat bale is impressive, especially since it received little fertilizer.  He may have developed a new way for blueberry production.  Tomatoes are grown commercially in grow-bags filled with rock wool.  Why not blueberries.
Doreen Howard