nafex - [NAFEX] Currant taste compared to Crandall

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: Nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Currant taste compared to Crandall
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:54:11 EST

On 03/07/2004 Ginda wrote regarding taste of black currants raw and processed and regarding taste of Crandall

What you have found is completely correct. There is some difference in taste of black currants that have been processed (cooked if even for a few minutes) but the difference is not nearly as great as the raw fruit. The longer it is cooked the less of the real raw flavor remains - but even then the jam and pie is as good as any fruit jam I have tasted.

This coming season I am going to make black currant preserves by blanching the ripe berries for a few seconds and filling them into heat steriled jars and then filling the jars with black currant juice from the steam juicer and sealing them. I think this will make a great topping for ice cream and will also make black currant shortcake.

I like Crandalls also but they are not even close to ripe black currants, the aroma of the blossoms is great.

  • [NAFEX] Currant taste compared to Crandall, Ribes60, 03/11/2004