nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberry Cuttings Wanted

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: NAFEX <NAFEX@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberry Cuttings Wanted
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:12:02 -0500

Hello All,

Does anyone (Canada source) have any blueberry cuttings they would like to share?

Varieties:

Easy To Root       Moderately Easy To Root
Bluetta                  Earliblue
Patriot                  Collins
Northland             Olympia
Blueray                 Herbert
Berkeley               Jersey
Coville                 Elliott
Jersey

Read the Pomona article in the Winter 2003 issue on using peat bales, and it has me very curious.

For the cost of a peat bale, and the postal cost of shared cuttings, it is worth a try.  Patience I have.

Having never rooted blueberry, I offer to this to those taking cuttings; "Proper selection of shoots is important for rooting. Take dormant, well hardened, unbranched, one-year-old whips/shoots from "mother" plants. Whips should be one-fourth inch or less (pencil width) in diameter but not spindly. Do not use shoots formed late in the season, as they are poorly hardened; such shoots often have an off-white to brown pithy interior. Look for healthy leaf buds on the whip.  Avoid wood that might be diseased with Botrytis twig blight, bacterial blight, or Godronia cane canker."

Just need a few cuttings to experiment with.  Contact  me off list.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio