nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: Mycorrhizal fungi

  • From: "baylands" <baylands@cros.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: RonCRNan73@aol.com, 'karin messner' <comcraft@adelphia.net>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: Mycorrhizal fungi
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:17:13 -0500

Hi there!

I would guess from my experience that if the "dead" straw, while decaying,
is in contact with living soil and a plant is growing in or near this
decaying straw mulch, the plants root system will develop a symbiotic
relationship with the living soil organisms that have been encouraged by the
fungal mat. The straw mulch creates an ideal fungal mat for the living
organisms within the soil.

My soil without straw mulch does not create much of a fugal mat, if any. It
seems to me that the straw mulch creates the ideal growing condition for
mycorrhizal fungi already present in nature. Nature over a period of time
will provide the strain of myco fungi most beneficial in establishing a
symbiotic relationship with the plants that you are growing. I have observed
that nature will provide worms in a previously wormless soil if organic
matter is incorporated into that soil. The worms do not have to be purchased
and added. Cultural practices are the basis of long-term natural and
sustainable fertility.

Ro Chapman/Baylands Farm
Port Clinton, OH 43452-0449