nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Mycorrhizal fungi

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Mycorrhizal fungi
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:53:23 -0500

Djubaya wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have found a simple trick to adding mycorrhizal fungi to the planting
> area... Get a straw bale (or 100*) in the summer and let it sit through
> the wet season. Then mulch with it around the tree or planting bed in
> the spring. It is the molding straw which will add the fungal mat to the
> soil...

Hello,

Everything I have read indicates that the beneficial myco fungi we are
discussing is soil borne, and must be in
contact with living roots to survive. It is a symbiotic relationship between
living organisms, not decaying
dead matter.

As straw bales contain little/no roots or soil, the presence of beneficial
myco fungi is limited. You also will
have no idea what strains of myco fungi you introduce. Some are better than
others.

The moldering hay will add organic matter to the soil, but is unrelated to
beneficial myco fungi.

Later,
Tom

--