nafex - [NAFEX] Black currant taste/flavor/aroma

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black currant taste/flavor/aroma
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:25:59 +0000

Ed M wrote:
I have consumed juice made from each and they are very good.

What I have been trying to get at all along is: What do you mean by "GOOD!"
High sugar, high acid, balanced, high in aromas, if so what aroma? I have now tasted two black currants: Consort and Ben Sarek and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in sugar, acid, the balance of the two or aroma. The Consort was juicier and larger but that may be because it is an older plant.

Ed M wrote:
I personally think that Ribena (from Ben Lomand) is the best that I have tasted.

What about its tastes makes it "BETTER?" I it significantly better?

Ed M wrote:
I have tasted juices from a number of countries and sources, I like all of them but they are different.

How are they "DIFFERENT"? Is there something I might be missing?

Ed M wrote:
Kevin, I seriously doubt that you could discern the difference in home
products made by different cultivars.

Then selection for home use does not need to be based on flavor/taste, correct? Doesn't this contradict your previous opinions about "GOOD" and "BETTER" and "DIFFERENT" stated above? The rest of your post seems to suggest that selection for taste in commercial use is important, why is it not important in home use and conversely important for commercial use?

Ed M wrote:
The end product is the result of a blend of all the ingredients more so than the flavor of black currant fruit.

What else is in the end product besides flavor?

Ed M wrote:
If you like what you have, by all means, stick with it.

If they all end up tasting the same, why worry at all "sticking with" a particular cultivar?

Ed M wrote:
Breeding for taste is high on the list of characteristics we strive for.

What is considered good in taste?

Ed, I am not trying to be difficult, I love black currants and really want to learn more about them but I am not understanding what the flavor/taste criteria are for them. It seems that since they have such a strong aroma that is even somewhat repulsive at first, that this aroma is an acquired taste, one that, like other acquired tastes, are sought after specifically for that taste (aroma). I have heard many Europeans say how much they wish they could have some black currant products here in the States and I think they so fondly miss it because it is a stand out aroma that also reminds them of home. Therefore I would think that that aroma (which I describe as being like cat urine) would be a top priority in breeding. Is it?
I could set out to try to taste all of the end products of the different varieties to see that I have a good selection but it could save a lot of time if we could begin describing the different taste qualities in black currants so that we can learn what it is about the flavor/taste/aroma that we like and seek out other cultivars with the same traits. But if, like you said, they all come out tasting the same, then it wouldn't be worthwhile to even try other cultivars.
This question is at the center of fruit exploring, asking these questions is what makes us nafexers, IMHO. But if there isn't really the variability in taste in black currants as in other fruits, as you have seemed to suggest, then I won't even start going that route.
Thank you for your time and I have learned a lot at this point
Kevin B

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral. http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx