nafex - [NAFEX] Cherries

  • From: "William A. Grimes" <wagrimes@sonic.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherries
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:07:38 -0800

At the request of correspondents to CRFG, I am looking for assistance in locating one variety of cherry and in identifying another. The former is the Dyehouse cherry, a sour variety identified in U.P. Hedrick's mammoth 1915 book The Cherries of New York. It apparently was in the Geneva, New York, collection for years but was transferred to Davis, California, in the 1990's and was subsequently lost. CRFG had one in their collection in Prusch Park in San Jose but it too was lost, and cuttings from one of the scion exchanges disappeared as well. Any help in locating a tree of this variety and/or in getting scion wood would be appreciated.

The other variety, unnamed, was last seen in Ontario, Canada, about 30 years ago. The tree produced green cherries that turned white and were very sweet. The tree was very freeze-hardy and not prone to splitting. Anyone have any ideas? The correspondent would, of course, like to find and plant one. I thought I saw something in one of the nursery catalogs about white cherries but have been unable to locate it.

Thanks.

Bill Grimes

  • [NAFEX] Cherries, William A. Grimes, 03/06/2004