nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Melons

  • From: Martha Barrett / Scott Weber <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Melons
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:19:37 -0600

Rondi,
What seems to make a sweet melon here in S Wisconsin is heat, lots of
moisture early in the season and near drought as the melons are sizing
up. Rain as they are sizing up makes Cucumis melo watery and bland. My
favorites change, but the ones I'm currently raving about are Golden
Gopher, an OP developed in MN in the 30s and available from Fedco if you
get your order in soon, and a supposed honeydew hybrid "Honey-I-Dew"
that I got from Nichols a few years back that has a bright yellow smooth
skin and really wonderful sweet and creamy flesh. It's hard to ripen
here, though.
Muffy
Baraboo, WI
92 days beween frosts in 2003