nafex - [NAFEX] Color pigment in some trees.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Color pigment in some trees.
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:12:55 EST

In a message dated 2/20/2004 11:07:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time, list@ginda.us writes:

I used to whittle a lot, and I enjoyed using large branches from my
father's crab apple.  The wood was a beautiful pink when freshly cut,
but turned to an ordinary brown when it cured.

Ginda

That is a problem with much wood containing colored pigment. Some box elder (junk tree) has beautiful red pigment and Osage orange yellow. Both fade within 6 months after being exposed to UV. At least that has been my experience.

Jerry Lehman

  • [NAFEX] Color pigment in some trees., Jwlehman, 02/21/2004