nafex - [NAFEX] grafting

  • From: "Diane" <disk@iserv.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:02:27 -0500

I grafted 10 years ago for the first time.I bought a "fieldgrafter" from New Zeland that made a "V" cut and formed a saddle graft.I had a 95% sucsess rate.I thought I was doing pretty good so the next year I ordered more rootstocks.Well,I had 1% sucess rate.I still am not sure why.I tried it a couple more years and had the same sad results.I think after I make the "V" cuts the scion "wobbles" around while I try to tape them up.I think this makes my cambiums not line up.This year I am thinking about getting a block plane from the hardware store to make a long diagonal cut on the scion and the root and then using my grafting knife to make the "tongue " cut.This will take longer but I think I will have better results.I have tried to make the first cuts with my grafting knife but they look very rough.What do you guys think?Thanks,skip in Michigan.Zone 5