nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:06:41 -0500

On Feb 20, 2004, at 5:44 PM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 03:48 PM 2/20/2004 -0600, Steve wrote:
I have some rosybloom crabs that seem to produce rock rather than wood. The
wood is dense and reddish.

Several of the red-fleshed crabs in my collection also have red/purple wood - Winter Red Flesh & Almata, don't recall exactly about some of the others.
Vic Caron sent me some wood from a seedling of Hampshire that she's growing out, and it's got the darkest purple wood I've ever seen - looks like you squashed a pokeberry on it.
I think I discussed this with Del at some time in the past, and he indicated that the pigment in those woods is not particularly stable, but I can't swear that I didn't misunderstand/misinterpret him.
. . .

I used to whittle a lot, and I enjoyed using large branches from my father's crab apple. The wood was a beautiful pink when freshly cut, but turned to an ordinary brown when it cured.

Ginda