nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood

  • From: Andrew Bell <acbell@iastate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple wood
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:34:51 -0600

At 06:15 PM 2/19/2004, you wrote:

The point of all this is to ask if there are any woodworkers/carvers who
have used apple, and if you have noted, as I did, variations according to
the variety of apple.

Fruit wood isn't really commonly used for woodworking, but people use it on occasion. Mostly, it is hard to get, and it is small. If the tree dies or is replaced when it is 8" in diameter, you aren't going to get a lot of lumber out of it. Also, most trees grown for fruit are pruned and spread to allow for good light penetration, etc. Most are dwarf with low limbs. This doesn't tend to yield much lumber.

All this being said, Mario Rodriguez, one of the woodworking handtool gurus, did a beautiful clock out of pear wood in an article a few years ago. Had me looking for pear wood, but it's not easy to find in hardwood lumber stores.

Didn't really answer your question, did I :)

-- Andrew Bell
acbell@iastate.edu