nafex - [NAFEX] RE: Sweet Cherries in Coastal Maine

  • From: "Three Hills Farm" <organic@threehillsfarm.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Sweet Cherries in Coastal Maine
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:03:49 -0500

Rodney, Ginda, et al. :
Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions.  I was surprised to see on the foodandfarm.com site the reference to the number of cherries trees (287) recorded here in Maine.  I was even more surprised to read the blanket statement that '[all] sweet cherries aren't winter-hardy'.   Seems like a rather nebulous statement.   Winter-hardy for whom?  All 3 1/2 zones here in Maine?   Time will tell.

Rodney, I appreciate you mentioning Balaton as well.  I've seen this tart cherry mentioned on the Adams County Nursery site, as well as by Hilltop and Cummins Nursery.  But I had no idea it's developing such a cult following.  The Cummins Nursery site describes at as follows:  "Dark-juiced introduction from Hungary.  Very high sugar, low acid.  Great for eating out of hand.  Unique in that there is no bleeding when the stem is pulled off.  Balaton is like a new kind of fruit crop.  Ideal for farm market."  I guess I've been conditioned into thinking that 'tart cherries' are all tart!   I don't actually know of anyone growing it in Maine---let alone on this island---but decided to go ahead and get a few Balaton trees as well.  I couldn't find it anywhere on Gisele 5, but was able to grab a dozen trees of it on Mahaleb.  I just need to make sure I find a home for these trees that's very well-drained.   If you should run across anyone growing Balaton on Gisela 5, would you let me know?  It would be nice to have a couple of these on the island.

Ginda, thanks for the comment about growing the trees on a north-facing slope.  The sweet cherry trees I'm buying are for the home garden, which is a pretty flat piece of land.  Balaton however will go on the farm, where the conditions are better for the Mahaleb rootstock.   Fortunately for these particular trees, the farm is all on a slightly North-facing slope.   I'll let you know how they grow.  I've got about 10 cherry pie recipes I'd like to try . . .

Cheers,

John

* * * * *

John A Gasbarre
Three Hills Farm
Vinalhaven Island & Union, Maine
http://www.threehillsfarm.com/apples.html
organic@threehillsfarm.com
44° 15' 45" N / 69° 19' 45" W

reveland@collinscom.net>
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

http://www.foodandfarms.com/learn/faq_indiv.asp?Page=1&ID=64

http://www.maes.msu.edu/nwmihort/balatongrow.html

http://www.glexpo.com/abstracts/2003abstracts/cherry.pdf

list@ginda.us
nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Three
> Hills Farm <
organic@threehillsfarm.com>

> There's an orchard near me that grows peaches in zone 5 (I think).
> They plant the peach trees on the north slope of a hill, to delay
> spring green-up and bud development.  They say it makes the trees (or
> flowers) more resistant to late frosts.  You might want to consider
> something like that.  (They grow apples on the other slopes.)
>
> Ginda

  • [NAFEX] RE: Sweet Cherries in Coastal Maine, Three Hills Farm, 02/14/2004