nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sugar Sweet Cherry (Is this for real?)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sugar Sweet Cherry (Is this for real?)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:03:14 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Sugar Sweet Cherry (Is this for real?)
I looked at it and it comes from the House of Wesley.  That puts up red flags like crazy.  I won't say they are like that now, but in the past they have sold nothing but junk, undersized, low grade rejects.  The cherry could even be more than one variety. That is, several varieties sold under the same name, depending on what they can get. "Stella" is one possibility, because it is a self fertile variety and there was a dwarf form.  One snag is IF it is Stella, the "genetic dwarf" form of that turned out to be dwarf because of a virus disease.
   In short, you pays your money and you takes your chances.
-Lon Rombough

http://www.directgardening.com/detail.asp?cc=g&dn=75&pid=5543

I have come across this several times during the past year. Everyone
offering it uses the same picture and they all say it is a bush cherry
that has the sweetness of Bing, is more crack resistant and produces a
better quality cherry. Always $2.95 each. I have never bought one
because I cannot believe that all of the reputable nurseries wouldn't
carry this if it is as good as described. I suspect some kind of con
game.