nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wolves and Coyotes

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "longdistshtr" <longdistshtr@shtc.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wolves and Coyotes
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:37:04 -0600

We adopted an 18-month-old dog in 1992 from the SPCA and were told that she
was half coyote and miniature German Shepherd. The story was that a coyote
got in the pen with a show dog in heat. She had heavy haunches and lots of
red coloring around her face and front quarter, yellow eyes and a thick coat
with fur between the pads of her paws. She was very gentle however, and we
quickly came to love her. She is very loyal and protective. Once two men
tried to carjack my new car. The dog was in the back seat, and they didn't
see her. She got one man by the throat, and I thought she was going to kill
him. The other ran, and I called the police who arrested the man on the
ground. My dog had ripped his throat badly. The police officer said that
my wolf saved me. I told him that the dog was half coyote. A month later,
the Houston Zoo received two Mexican red wolves, and their pictures were on
TV. Our dog was the spitting image of them. We did some research, and sure
enough, she is half Mexican red wolf. Many of her habits suddenly made
sense. She can be violent when she is protecting, but otherwise she is
gentle, shy and hides from chaos. BTW, we never have varmint problems, even
now in the country. She kills possum, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and
rodents regularly. But, since she is not hungry, she buries them for later,
often in my compost bin!
Doreen Howard