nafex - [NAFEX] Deer Damage

  • From: "Diane" <disk@iserv.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Deer Damage
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:59:25 -0500

Here in MI I have an orchard of 8 acres of apples.I am adjacent to 350 acres of no hunting due to a county park.They hid all day in the park and sneak over at night.We shoot about 20 to 30 every hunting season.I then get permits from the dnr during the winter to shoot out of season.We still suffer huge financial damage.If apples were worth any money I would out up a fence.This year is one of the coldest with deep snow so the damage is severe.One year I planted pumpkins and got 30,000 lbs.The next year the deer found they liked them and I got ONE PUMPKIN!! Anyway what I wanted to tell the group was I use Thiram Granuflo 65 wp? as my main fungicide for most of the year.Thiram is a main ingredient in some deer repellents.It is an old fungicide with fair to good scab control.Like captan, resistance is unlikely due to it's mode of action.Be sure to add a sticker as it does not stick very well.I would guess it cut my spring and summer deer damage in half.I am still looking for a winter control.     good luck,skip s.  zone 5

  • [NAFEX] Deer Damage, Diane, 02/09/2004