nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wolves and Coyotes

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wolves and Coyotes
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:33:54 -0600

At 11:53 AM 2/9/2004 -0500, you wrote:
I've heard that Red Wolves were released in eastern NorCar and Virginia and
it is a big no-no to harm them. They look like coyotes to me. One is a
predator and the other is an endangered animal. Might be a problem. Any
comments?

Doc,
I've posted at least a couple of red wolves - they had a few captive ones at nearby Land Between the Lakes(may still have 'em, I don't know for sure) that were part of the captive breeding program, and some of those released into the wild came from LBL.
I couldn't see any notable difference between them and a coyote - but I'm not a mammalogist, and I've seen/read comments suggesting that a significant amount of coyote genetic material is noted in some, if not all of the remaining red wolves, when they do DNA analyses on them.

We've got 'em here. I hear 'em frequently, and occasionally see them crossing the pasture back of the house. I've seen 'em, on more than one occasion, rapidly pursuing a big red fox that used to live here. Haven't seen a fox in a couple of years - don't know if they finally caught 'em or they just moved on due to the competition.
I haven't seen a groundhog on my place in nearly 10 years, and have had no reason thus far to suspect them as being a threat to my cattle.
Deer populations seem unaffected by them, though I wouldn't be surprised if they took a young fawn here or there. Turkeys seem to be doing OK, though I'm sure the coyotes probably nab a poult or setting hen from time to time.
Almost never see a rabbit, except for the one in my yard that keeps pruning pecan seedlings and mountain laurels - 'course, I never see it when I have a gun.