nafex - [NAFEX] The smell sells

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] The smell sells
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:07:48 -0800

I was choosing an organic cauliflower at my supermarket last night when I smelled ripe peaches. You can imagine how strong the scent was to overcome nearby cabbagy smells. I followed my nose to a bin of Chilean peaches, picked ripe and flown to Canada. Even in our peach season, it is rare to be able to buy ripe peaches except on a fruit stand in front of an orchard, and I don't remember ever being able to smell them close to in a store, let alone several aisles over. They were expensive ($11 Canadian a kg), but who could resist the smell? Of course I bought one each for the family, and the cost was a bit less than if I had bought a cupcake each from the bakery.

Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada