nafex - Re: [NAFEX] weather stations

  • From: RW Spalinger <rwspal@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] weather stations
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:19:26 -0600

On Feb 3, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Peter Knop wrote:

Thanks for the reference Randall and Tom, I need my own, sigh, as I need to
know soil temps, as well as micro climates as end result will be trying to
get hardier varieties of some of the warm climate plants...I would
love to avoid the expense and bother (I am NOT a computer guru) of having
our own station (which, if we get what we want from one, will actully
probably involve more than one, unless one station can handle multiple
sensors...

A single Davis Instruments display console can handle inputs from several remote sensing stations, linked by radio transmitters. At the console, one can switch among the remote stations to display that sensor's data. If the sensors are more than a couple of hundred yards (depending on conditions) away, one can use a repeater to get distances of a mile or more.

I don't work for Davis Instruments, I just use their product, which works pretty well. My rain gauge, anemometer, thermometer, solar insolation sensor, etc is up on a pole in the middle of my central garden, and it transmits all the data to the little console hanging on a wall in a shed nearby. The console can store up to 24 years of data, which can be scrolled through. It even has a little graph of the collected data, min. and max. data, etc.

Randall Spalinger