nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Petite Jewel Grape

  • From: Nathan Torgerson <nathantorgerson@yahoo.com>
  • To: griffingardens@earthlink.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Petite Jewel Grape
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:46:22 -0800 (PST)

Dave,
  Do you know where Petite Jewel can be purchased?  My web searches have come up empty.

Thanks,
Nathan
Andover, MN
Zone 4a

Griffin Gardens <griffingardens@earthlink.net> wrote:
Lon,

I've been growing Petite Jewel here in central MN,zone 4a since '92 with only 2 crop failures due to cold - one of these was last year when many of the native plants also had damage, and still it set about 1/4 crop. I find Canadice to be bland and mushy by comparison, but maybe that is because PJ is better adapted here and vice versa? Its a wonderful grape here and makes great jam with the vestigial seeds, un-noticeable fresh, cooking up to give it a unique nutty crunch. Its the textural experience of wheat bread with PJ jam on white toast.

Dave