nafex - Re: [NAFEX] School P/ Indoor Plants

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] School P/ Indoor Plants
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 7:34:17 -0600

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Tanis, my attempt a couple of years
ago to make the inside of my house into a tropical rain forest met with
dismal results. It seems that the house has an inexhaustible capacity to
suck the moisture out of the air as fast as I can pump it in. I blame
myself, for my overuse of wood in the decor - floors, ceiling, and walls -
and a suspicion that all that xylem tissue somehow survived the kiln and
was still functioning, transporting water directly to the windows, where it
would then cascade over the panes in beautiful if not tropical streams,
then to collect in gorgeous reflective pools on the later to be refinished
window sills. My conclusion had to be that when the temps drop below 0, its
not the tropics anymore, and you just can't create them and have windows
too.
Maybe I should be looking at this another way. I have a storage room that
has a small but south facing window. The temp stays at around 50 F, which
should present a more manageable moisture problem. If I built a shelf at
the base of the window and I could get a little light on the cuttings,
especially now that the sun angle has increased to the point where the
fiery orb ascends to hang in the sky for a few hours a day above the 3" lip
of the window well. Oh, glorious Sol! I would guess that growth would slow
under these conditions, but the frost free date here is around June first,
so there is plenty of time. The question is, will the cuttings continue to
grow in this environment and, more importantly, to develop roots ?

Dave