nafex - [NAFEX] Hedging on Hardiness

  • From: Jim F <bonfire58_2000@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hedging on Hardiness
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 05:12:13 -0800 (PST)

     As a rule, nurseries or plant sellers hedge on their hardiness claims, with some exceptions, of course.  If a plant is known to do well in one USDA zone, it will often be listed as recommended for the next warmer zone.  This is a safety net for the retailer who will have to replace fewer plants that didn't grow.
     Another method of exacting a hardiness zone has to do with where it was developed.  For example, a few years ago, a New York Nursery introduced a new nectarine for zone 4.  So I sought out the person who developed it asking, "Will it thrive in zone 3?"  He hadn't tried growing it in zone 3.  I do a similar thing with the Pequot Black Raspberry™ that I sell.  I developed it in zone 3 and recommend it for zone 3.  I do have some plants thriving in zone 2 but I'll not recommend for zone 2 because unmulched plants are not likely to survive a snowless, -50° winter.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [NAFEX] Hedging on Hardiness, Jim F, 01/12/2004