nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting success with callusing box

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting success with callusing box
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:47:36 -0500

Mark:
Yes I have tried both techniques during the 1980's.
I was an early adopter of the "Laegerstedt hot callusing pipe", the 2nd
technique you ask about,
which was designed for hazelnuts.

Especially the first technique makes plants sick by digging them out of the
ground.
Knowledgeable grafters will tell you the first most important thing is to
graft healthy plants.
A plant dug out of the ground is by definition an unhealthy plant, because
you have just subjected
it to a crisis by pulling it out of the ground.

Both techniques work well some of the time.
The Laegerstedt technique can be applied to plants growing in place, but
awkwardly.

Find a simpler way.
Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts