nafex - [NAFEX] freezing

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] freezing
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:26:29 +0000

Each fall we fill up 2 large chest freezers, they are old ones, outdoors in the barn, so they don't have to run all year. We have switched over to doing much of our freezing with a vacuum bag sealer. Gone are the days of freezer burned fruit, veggies and meat!
A couple tricks: for soft fruit like raspberries we put them on cookie sheets in the freezer till they are just firm, then quickly vacuum bag and freeze. The other trick is to cut 1" strips of paper towel the width of the bag and insert it just below the opening, this solves the problem of any juices being sucked out and ruining the seal. We have a Food Saver brand, but no reason to think others aren't just as good. Del z 2/3

Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize

  • [NAFEX] freezing, del stubbs, 12/20/2003