nafex - [NAFEX] Home Canning

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Home Canning
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:08:01 -0800

Title: Home Canning
   No one has mentioned two distinct advantages to home canning - you can vary the recipe to YOUR tastes, and you are able to can things not available commercially.  I did some canning for a third reason this year.  I tested several table grape varieties to see which ones would hold up best in canning.  The results were that Vanessa was the best in terms of keeping shape and general appearance, while Remaily was second.  Reliance, which is softer than those two, broke down more and turned into a compressed mass at the top of the jar.  It takes a very firm variety to hold up in canning.
   -Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

  • [NAFEX] Home Canning, Lon J. Rombough, 12/19/2003