nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Labels

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: Bill Russell <shaman@pennswoods.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Labels
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:48:48 -0500

From: "Bill Russell" <shaman@pennswoods.net>
Date: Thu Dec 18, 2003 05:17:51 PM US/Eastern
To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

Right, irradiated foods do not store radiation. But one of the effects are
destruction of beneficial enzymes. That's why irradiated fresh foods keep
longer. I have also been told that it is illegal to label foods as
irradiated because "it will only confuse the public."

Comments?

Bill

I believe the nutritional quality is also changed -- drop in vitamin content -- and compounds may be created that don't naturally occur in the food. This can also occur in other forms of processing; but when food has been canned, cured, etc. you can tell by looking at it, and decide for yourself whether you want canned peas or fresh ones.

Fresh should mean something more than just "not rotten yet".

Truth is sometimes confusing. But lies are always meant to be. Concealing the fact of irradiation, done for that reason, would be a lie. If they thought it would sell better, they'd be happy to label it. (I don't know that it's illegal to label it; I think the question is whether it should be illegal not to label it.) Some people might not buy it for the wrong reasons; but that should be up to them. If I don't like celery in my soup, I don't have to get soup with celery in it, because the ingredients have to be on the label. I might have good, bad, or entirely crazy reasons for not wanting celery; but it's supposed to be my choice.

-- Rivka