nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Labels

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Labels
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:19:21 -0500

On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Doreen Howard wrote:

This is from the Chef's Collaborative newsletter, and it's handy information
for growers, consumers and garden writers.
Doreen Howard

A SECRET ECO-LABEL
If you find yourself with a sudden fruit craving with nary a farmstand in
sight, duck into a supermarket and check out those annoying plastic stickers
on the fruit. Conventional produce has a four-digit code starting with the
number 4; organic produce has a five-digit code starting with the number 9.
Genetically modified produce also has a five-digit code, which starts with
the number 8. Right now, papayas are the only genetically modified food
available in the produce section. Be aware that PLU (price lookup) stickers
are not mandatory and are not used in all stores.

Are growers and wholesalers currently required to identify GMO produce? I didn't think they were; in which case, GMO's might easily be going under a conventional label.

There are GMO summer squash on the market, and there may be GMO contamination in corn varieties that are not supposed to be GMO. I think the previous rounds of GMO potatoes and tomatoes were duds and are not currently being grown, but am not sure.

-- Rivka