nafex - [NAFEX] Little Giant blueberry

  • From: John Jourdan <jourdanj@foxinternet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Little Giant blueberry
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:14:18 -0600

Does anyone have experience growing the blueberry cultivar "Little Giant"?
It is a hybrid of two different species of blueberries and has some
interesting sounding characteristics. At least one grower rates it as being
hardy in zone 4. I am surprised that it is that hardy seeing that it has
some of the southern Rabbiteye blueberry in its heritage.
I am near the northern edge of zone 4 but get some moderating effect in the
winter from proximity to a large metro area. generally I can grow any zone
4 plants.
For blueberries, besides the Minnesota half high varieties I can grow
Patriot, Northland, Bluegold, Blue Jay, and Blue Ray. I have not tried Blue
Crop.
If anyone has planted Little Giant I would like your comments about its
hardiness and how it compares to other varieties.