nafex - [NAFEX] Tissue Culture Sought

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tissue Culture Sought
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:47:42 -0700

I checked around last year to find a nursery who would do virus indexing and
tissue culture for my black raspberry. The most promising contact then was
Charles Boyd at Cedar Valley Nurseries, Centralia, Washington. Phone 360-736-7490.

He offered to go through virus indexing, cleanup as needed, and tissue culture to
provide pre-release evaluation plants, where I would bear the cost and purchase the plants.
I wish I could put my finger on his letter, but it's misplaced for the moment in some pile.
Based on the costs he quoted last year (best get new figures from him directly), I figured the
minimum cost would net around $1250 (USD) for 1000 tissue culture evaluation plants if the
clone were clean and they were successful in getting it going. Costs could run up considerably,
many times this figure, if the clone needed virus cleanup. Once released, they might
offer it through their catalog and provide royalty.

I have not started through the program yet due to cloning difficulties last year, but
hopeful for this spring.

--Pete Tallman, Colorado, zone 5

Get holiday tips for festive fun. http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx