nafex - [NAFEX] e-mail addresses

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] e-mail addresses
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 21:18:26 -0500

I think you must have an issue with your mail program. Every letter comes with the address attached on my computer. Whatever you do DO NOT PUT YOUR ADDRESS IN THE TEXT OF YOUR MESSAGE.

My understanding is that NAFEX archives are now available to non-members on-line. On-line e-mail addresses is a primary source of spam. A roving "bot" finds something that looks like a valid e-mail address, and reports it to one spammer. Eventually that spammer sells the name to another spammer. Before too long, your address is on that "list of 50 million valid e-mail addresses" that are being peddled on-line and every spammer has it. My address was available on the old version of the plants-by-mail FAQ. A month or two later, I started getting a little spam now and then. It gradually picked up steam until I changed my address a year ago, and I haven't gotten any spam since.

Please don't do this to yourself, or to others. If you must repeat an address in a letter to NAFEX, disguise it from computer programs by, for example, converting the "@" to a " at ", as the server apparently does, or inserting spurious characters ("listnospamplease@ginda.us"). Changing e-mail addresses is a real nuisance, especially if you use it to correspond with people you might otherwise not keep in touch with.

Looking forward to snow,
Ginda Fisher