nafex - [NAFEX] Re: turkeys in the orchard/vineyard

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: turkeys in the orchard/vineyard
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:33:46 -0500

I have Guinea Fowl in my vineyard and nothing moves on the ground except
fireants.  They roost in surrounding oaks and pecan trees. They  follow me
around and love all the June Bugs and Japanese Beetles I pick off for them.
Some say they eat chiggers and ticks also.  I can't see what they are
picking up in freshly turned earth but it interests them, as does grass
seeds.
They like to dust in any bare earth spots.  I prefer them to turkeys but
they, like turkeys, are prone to  raucous outbursts when a varmint  or
stranger comes around.  Eggs are a bonus if they can be found and that is a
challenge. Their droppings aren't as messy as other farm fowl's.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8