nafex - [NAFEX] Fowl in pecan orchard

  • From: "R. Keith Etheridge" <goatdoc@ctitech.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fowl in pecan orchard
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:28:35 -0600

I have 13 bearing northern pecan trees,last year almost every nut had a weevil and those that didn't had a black spot on the kernel,I think probably from stink bugs.I imagine the squirrels got a few good ones.Starting last fall,the field with 7 0f them was home to 13 guineas and 7 pygmy goats.The goats were fed hay around the trees and the trees were individually by plastic or chain link fence.Evidently the
guineas caught the weevil larva as they flew.Also maybe the goats ate any fallen diseased nuts last year to break the cycle.The guineas were originally got to control ticks which they did.The goats to clear brush.I got my first good crop of pecans this year.Found only one weevil
Keith zone 5b

  • [NAFEX] Fowl in pecan orchard, R. Keith Etheridge, 11/16/2003