nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Klapotetz?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Klapotetz?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:01:52 -0500

Hi,

That one is a visual scare, the klapotetz is a noise maker, the noise is just
driven by the wind.

The hammers are made of cherry wood and the sounding board (clappers) from
beechwood.

It is supposed to make ultrasonic (and sonic) noise to scare birds. My guess
is that the
vibrations coming down the main shaft, going deep into the ground would
bother digging critters as
well.

In the images I have seen, these things are monsters in size. The diameter
of the windmill must be
16 to 24 feet.

However, could the klapotetz be made with simple 12v solenoids driving the
hammers on the clappers?

Not a lot of information to be found, other than they are still used in
Europe.

Later,
Tom