nafex - RE: [JunkMail] Re: [NAFEX] Lead takes root in urban gardens

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [JunkMail] Re: [NAFEX] Lead takes root in urban gardens
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:41:56 -0800

Diane,
I found this article on the subject:
http://www.ccpa.ca/english/position/enviro/SoilQuality.html

One reason I think this technique has failed to take off is given in the
article...

"CCPA: Do you have a patent on these geraniums?
SK: Yes. The University of Guelph has filed a patent on the use of any of
the Pelargonium species -- geranium species for contaminant remediation
purposes."

Any geranium species? That seems crazy to me. If someone pays you to grow
these unpatented plants in polluted soil to remove the heavy metals, you owe
the University of Guelph a royalty. How can they get away with that? They
didn't invent the geranium.

-Mark Lee