nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Maclura pomifera osage orange uses

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Maclura pomifera osage orange uses
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:56:36 -0800

Peter Knop wrote:

We grow a lot of osage orange, a few to be used for grafting of Cudrania
tricuspidata as discussed on this list, but most for use in environmental
fencing - for deer and security purposes. We also sell material through our
nursery and provide free material (plants and seeds) to universities and
others conducting research. We have planted over 1 km of "fencing" on our
property and this year will be planting another 2 1/2 km. We are located in
a suburb of Washington, D.C. (Chantilly) and have a) a lot of deer causing a
LOT of damage as we are the last big undeveloped property here, plus of
course, too many people who think undeveloped land is public land...

How do you use the Osage Orange for fencing?
We have a big deer problem here in Oregon.
Interested in your design.
I wonder if it will grow here.
We get lots of rain and some freezing.
Sam