nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bletting M. pomifera

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bletting M. pomifera
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:17:39 -0600

At 12:34 PM 11/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
How actually does one best remove seeds from osage orange? This year we have
400 lbs of "oranges" so will be doing quite a bit of work. Last year we
froze them, let them "rot" sort of, mushed it all around and came out with
something more or less useable - but that was only about 50 pounds
worth..... I have read about letting them ferment - but wonder how long,
etc. etc.

Pete,
I've seen this somewhere - the 'old-timers' used to put the hedgeapples in a barrel, with drainage holes drilled about 2 inches or so from the bottom, and leave them out all winter to freeze/thaw and be moistened and bletted by Ma Nature. Then, in spring, they'd plug the drain holes, add water, and mash/mix until they had a nice slurry of bletted pulp and seeds. You could then pick through for the seeds, but what they usually did was just pour an inch or two of this slurry into a furrow - often along sections lines, or wherever they wanted a hedgerow, and allow the seedlings to germinate and grow there, as 'thick as fleas on a dog's back'.

Lots of info out there on the 'Net - two good sites with lots of links are:
www.hedgeapple.com
www.osageorange.com

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6