nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grow tubes / dormancy

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grow tubes / dormancy
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:28:17 -0500

Hello,

What is the difference between these grow tubes and plastic spiral tree wraps?

I always protect my trees with white, plastic, spiral, wraps from the first
frost till there is
other green food for rabbits in the spring. Never had a problem. If I did
not protect the trees
in some manner all winter, there would be no trees in the spring.

I have used lots of different materials for winter protection, from empty,
white, seed grain bags,
held with duct tape, chicken wire, window screen, and that heavy plastic
screening designed to keep
leaves out of roof gutters, They all work for winter protection and I have
never seen ill effects
on the trees.

They all go on at first frost and stay till spring. I have seen summer
damage to young trees where
the diameter of the tree's trunk above a tree wrap is larger, than the
portion of the trunk that is
wrapped. It would seem to make sense to remove them during the summer.

Is there a difference between plastic spiral tree wraps and these grow tubes
you discuss? What is
the benefit of a grow tube in the late spring/summer?

Thanks,
Tom
--
Thomas Olenio