nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pine trees and soil acidity

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pine trees and soil acidity
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:57:16 -0400

Del,
I would be wary of any oak leaves or debris from a site that is calcareous
(alkaline). Oaks pump up the alkalinity from deep below and shed it in
their leaves. Where I'm at I'd put oak leaves in my garden beds to
decompose into rich, high pH organic matter, full of nutrients. Mostly, I'd
make sure that whatever/whereever you gather is from an area that is acidic
deep down and on the surface. Sounds like the sandy site would be good to
collect from, but make sure by doing a pH test and ask your neighbors how
far down the sand goes.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI
zone 5b