nafex - [NAFEX] pawpaw ripening season

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pawpaw ripening season
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:52:04 -0400

Our reply to general question earlier on ripening season for pawpaws:

Our seedling trees begin early Sept, though local trees begin mid-Aug. As
usual, we've been eating the fruit for over a month, by picking up what
falls each day. The furry critters started climbing the trees after them
last Tues, so I did likewise and picked remaining ripe ones. About a dozen
unripe ones were still on the trees.

Checked trees today after being away a few days, and all fruit is gone now.
We found a few unripe ones today on wild trees near Roanoke, VA.

In summary, trees at our place bear about 6 weeks, roughly Sept 1 thru
mid-Oct. They receive morning sun and afternoon shade.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn, 1800'