nafex - [NAFEX] Wouldn't you know it.

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wouldn't you know it.
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:31:35 -0700

Some years ago I planted out a few random apple seedlings mostly to use
as rootstock trees for testing varieties. This year, one that had only one
graft on it gave a very good size crop. Given the extremely poor set on
most other apples due to rain during bloom time, that alone was something.
The apples, while a little small, were still at least the size of an
unthinned Liberty. Color was excellent, with stripe-solid color that was a
beautiful rose red, and with very white flesh. Tree has a nice open habit,
the fruit hangs very well, ripening about with Red Delicious. With no spray
at all, it had no more scab than Liberty, very few codling moths, and I've
not yet found any with apple maggots, even next to a badly infested
Braeburn.
Is everyone drooling over this?
The rub is that it is the tofu of apples - no sweetness, no acid, no
flavor. Absolutely neutral. Use it for mashed potatoes.
*Sigh*.
-Lon Rombough

  • [NAFEX] Wouldn't you know it., Lon J. Rombough, 10/12/2003