nafex - [NAFEX] Osage Orange/Cudrania propagation

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Osage Orange/Cudrania propagation
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:49:25 -0500

Osage Orange, in my experience is pretty easy to grow from seed. Just collect those big green fruits, stick 'em off in a corner somewhere, maybe buried under some leaves, and allow them to become fully bletted. You can then pick the seeds out. They have a slight dormancy requirement, requiring 30 days or so at 40 degrees F, or by soaking dried seeds for a couple of days, according to Dirr.
I tried rooting pre-callused hardwood cutting a year or so back, but failed; but I had just stuck them in the ground, not in a rooting bed with bottom heat. Supposedly, softwood cuttings, taken in July, root quite readily when treated with IAA.

An intergeneric hybrid between Maclura and Cudrania has been described(X Macludrania), but I know nothing about its form or fruiting habits.

Lucky