nafex - [NAFEX] Drying and freezing persimmmons

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Drying and freezing persimmmons
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:33:45 -0500

I found that it's tedious to try to remove seeds from squishy persimmons for
drying whole. It was easier to smash them fairly flat and dry them whole,
as the seeds pop out easily when it's time to eat them. Dried persimmons
are one of the most sustaining snack foods to take along on a trip.
I used to use a Foley food mill to get persimmon pulp for freezing.
Then I would use them to make cake with. There are two kinds of applesauce
cakes, one with lots of butter, one with practically none. Use the recipe
with lots of butter, with persimmon pulp instead of applesauce, cut the
sugar in half or even less, and you'll get a kind of sweet persimmon bread,
not deadly sweet like most American baked goods, but very tasty and very
filling. ( I guess you could do it without lots of butter, but then I'd
probably want to butter it to eat it!) Just the thing to make everyone rave
at pot luck dinners. Donna

  • [NAFEX] Drying and freezing persimmmons, Kieran and Donna, 09/25/2003